sound control on 18.04

Gary J. Kirkpatrick garyartista at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 11:06:31 UTC 2018

On Sat, Sep 8, 2018 at 12:13 PM Petter Adsen <petter at nillabs.com> wrote:

> On 08. sep. 2018 10:01, Gary J. Kirkpatrick wrote:
> >
> > I upgraded to 18.04 from 16.04 yesterday.
> >
> > I notice that when you click on the sound icon you can not choose the
> > sound source without opening 'Settings.'  This is when I login using the
> > standard Ubuntu option.
> >
> > I have looked for hours for a way modify this applet (if that is what it
> > is called).  I have not found one.
> >
> > Along the same lines you can not access rhythm box and VLC from that
> > 'applet.'  In Unity these were conveniently located at this spot.
> >
> > Perhaps this is no longer possible.  Any thoughts on the matter?
>
> I'm not sure if tray applets work any longer under GNOME, but you can
> try pasystray. It lets you switch sources/sinks etc from a menu in the
> systray. It's in the repos.
>
> Petter

Thanks for the reply.  Pasystray does not seem to do what I want it to do.
For ex, I just activated my bluetooth earbuds.  I have to select them in
order for them to work (despite having them selected under Pulseaudio).  I
still have to open system settings to get to where I can choose them over
the built in speakers.  Pasystray does not offer a good option for doing
this.  Unity does even under 18.04 so I can stay with Unity, at least for a
while.

garyk