help with serial i/o from a device?

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Thu Sep 6 19:41:39 UTC 2018

On Thu, 06 Sep 2018 09:53:24 +0200
Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> hi
> Am Mittwoch, den 05.09.2018, 23:30 -0400 schrieb Robert Heller:
> > cat /dev/ttyUSB0 > outfile.bin
>
> beyond roberts exccellent explanation, you can also use dd for byte
> streams, that gives you a bit more control than cat (allowing to set
> blocksize, legth or offset of what you want to capture)
>
> sudo dd if=/dev/ttyUSB0 of=outfile.bin
>
> (there you can for example use bs=1MB count=1 to capture exactly 1MB
> of data ... or skip=1kB to cut off the first kilobyte (i.e. a header,
> in case you only want the payload data) of the stream)
>
> "man dd" has all the dirty details :)
>
> ciao
> 	oli

fabulous, thanks both for this. I'll post when I've got it sorted, dd
sound great.

In modern fantasy (literary or governmental), killing people is the
usual solution to the so-called war between good and evil. My books are
not conceived in terms of such a war, and offer no simple answers to
simplistic questions.

----- Ursula Le Guin