Question as to whether Ubuntu or UbuntuMATE is 32 bit

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Sat Sep 1 22:33:24 UTC 2018

On 01/09/18 23:14, Bret Busby wrote:
[...]
> I think, from the timestamps, your response was probably posted while
> I was writing my response to Tony's response.

Very likely. My connection is sometimes slow, sometimes fast...

> The file, where it currently sits, is the only complete copy of the
> file, that I have.

Copying it is A Good Idea, then :-)

> I could not use the cp command, as the USB drive name includes a
> space, which is not recognised as a character within a directory name,
> by command line commands (or so I believe).

No, you can enclose the path in quotes, eg

$ cp "~/path with spaces/name for the big file.dat" /tmp/newfile.dat

Will the file compress? You could zip or gzip it to the USB drive if
that would shrink it enough to get in under the 4GB limit.

$ zip /media/bret/usb/bigfile.zip "some path to/the big file.dat"

///Peter