Question as to whether Ubuntu or UbuntuMATE is 32 bit

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 21:58:57 UTC 2018

On 02/09/2018, Tony Arnold <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> Bret,
>
> On Sun, 2018-09-02 at 05:04 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>
> On Sun, 2 Sep 2018, Bret Busby wrote:
>

> I have read, regarding RISC OS, that
>

> "
>
> The file system abstraction layer API uses 32-bit file offsets, making
>
> the largest single file 4 GiB (minus 1 byte) long.
>
> "
>

> - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS
>

> Now, that makes me wonder whether Ubuntu Linux, or, UbuntuMATE Linux,
>
> is limited to 32 bit.
>
> I think the file size limits depends on the files system in use as well as
> the OS.
>

> The reason that this has arisen, is that I have a 4.5GB file that I
>
> can not move - I have tried to move (using cut and paste) the file,
>
> using both caja and PCManFM, and, with both, I get the problem that
>
> the file is "too large to be spliced", and, a filesize limit of 4GB
>
> apparently applies
>

> So, is Ubuntu Linux, or, UbuntuMATE Linux, is limited to 32 bit, or,
>
> are the file managers limited to 32 bit operations?
>
> What is the files system to which you are copying the file? And what is the
> file system where the source file resides?
>
> ext4 support up to 16TB sized files.
>
> fat32 only supports up to 4GB.
>
> ntfs supports up to 16EiB (Exabytes)!
>
> You could also try using the cp command in a terminal to copy the file and
> see if that gives you a meaningful error message.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Regards,
> Tony.
>
> --
>
> Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT
> Services | G64, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester
> M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039

Thank you, Tony.

I believe that you have provided the answer, from which, I can derive
the solution.

I was trying to move the file from the computer internal HDD, which
has most of the Linux partitions, including the home partition, where
the file is located, as ext4.

I was trying to move the file to a USB thumbrive - 256GB, which, from
this, I assume to be formatted to FAT32.

I could not use the cp command, as the USB drive name includes a
space, which is not recognised as a character within a directory name,
by command line commands (or so I believe).

So, the solution appears to be to get another drive - that I can
rename, to ensure that it does not include spaces in the drive name,
and, format it to either ext4 or NTFS, before writing to it.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."