Question as to whether Ubuntu or UbuntuMATE is 32 bit

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 20:34:48 UTC 2018

I have read, regarding RISC OS, that

"
The file system abstraction layer API uses 32-bit file offsets, making
the largest single file 4 GiB (minus 1 byte) long.
"

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS

Now, that makes me wonder whether Ubuntu Linux, or, UbuntuMATE Linux,
is limited to 32 bit.

The reason that this has arisen, is that I have a 4.5GB file that I
can not move - I have tried to move (using cut and paste) the file,
using both caja and PCManFM, and, with both, I get the problem that
the file is "too large to be spliced", and, a filesize limit of 4GB
apparently applies

So, is Ubuntu Linux, or, UbuntuMATE Linux, is limited to 32 bit, or,
are the file managers limited to 32 bit operations?

The computer has an i3 CPU and 16GB of RAM.

The computer is running UbuntuMATE 16.04 AMD64, as far as I am aware.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."