Menu editor not working

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 11:09:13 UTC 2018

On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 at 10:21, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> IMO your hardware is unimportant, but I agree that mentioning the
> desktop environment is important

The reason I asked is quite simple.

Mint offers a range of desktops, just like Ubuntu, but the primary 2
are Maté and Cinnamon.

Cinnamon requires OpenGL to work. Maté doesn't.

So if the OP has not got working 3D drivers for their graphics card
installed, it's possible some Cinnamon features might not work. This
should not be the case with Maté.

I've been evaluating Cinnamon on a couple of physical machines and in
VMs recently, under 3 distros. I'm sorry to say that it hasn't done
well. It works, it looks nice (apart from the lack of vertical taskbar
support), but I've experienced crashes and instability, and I was
unable to connect to a Wifi network whose password had changed. There
*is* a graphical settings editor, but it's not connected to the
network status icon -- I had to run it from a shell.

Small things but enough for me to decide that I will not use or recommend it.

Given the glitches that I have experienced, then I would not be
surprised if others experienced different but comparable glitches.
Such as, say, applets failing to start, as the OP describes.