18.04 has no support for my printer

Charles IRONS irons.charles at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 10:20:29 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-10-19 at 11:35 +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Fri 19 Oct 2018 at 10:17:32 +0200, Charles Irons wrote:
> Hello BrianI hope Friday offers you a relaxing weekend.I ran the
> command from your email and the results are below.I have used
> synaptic a few times over the years.Maybe I could delete the printer
> and disconnect the cable, then uninstallHPLip and re-install version
> 3.18.9Then connect the printer and do HP-setup?That might produce a
> matched set of software??
> You could do that but, to me, the problem appears to lie within
> anotherpart of the printing system such as CUPS or a filter from
> cups-filters.
> I suppose this long search may possibly be helpful to other users.I
> value your advice as always.**********************************Ran the
> command that you required.chas at Charles-PC:~$ sudo cupsfilter -p
> /etc/cups/test.ppd -m printer/foo -e/etc/nsswitch.conf > outfile
> 2>log[sudo] password for chas:Segmentation fault
> All that cupsfilter does is run all the filters for the job
> withoutsending it to the printer. I do not understand the crash.
> Mystifying.
> chas at Charles-PC:~$**********relevant syslog, auth.log and dkpg.log
> follow with a few"highlights" that I
> found.***************************************************************
> ***********************************
> Nothing of use that I can spot in the logs.
> [...]
> A CUPS error log should help. Advice is at
> https://wiki.debian.org/DissectingandDebuggingtheCUPSPrintingSystem
> sudo with commands will be needed much of the time.
> Good luck.
> -- Brian.
Hello Brian
My thanks to all those who tried to advise me.
I finally found the Ubuntu-ZA community website and Anton solved the
problem using Teamviewer and WhatsApp.
He obviously knows linux very well after working with it for over 10
years.
I still have other issues but hope Anton will solve those as well.
Ubuntu 18.04.1 is working well otherwise and I am grateful that I do
not have to learn something else at age 79.
Enjoy the weekend. Wishing ubuntu-users every success . Chas

--

Our preferred address is

irons.charles at gmail.com
Mobile   +2783 588 0028