4.19-rc8 - debugging kernel issues - how do I get the logs off before my system crashes?

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Tue Oct 23 03:53:35 UTC 2018

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 12:41:24 -0400, Christopher Patti wrote:
>how do I get the logs off the box before it crashes?

Is there an operating system able to run on this machine? If so, run
this operating system and get access to the Ubuntu install's partition
containing /var/log. IOW access the log files by running another
operating system.

If you should have another computer, consider to capture a netconsole
trace.

>Trying to report a bug with ubuntu-bug suggests I should report this
>bug upstream to bugzilla.kernel.org, but *their* ReportingBugs doc
>basically says unless you identify the proper subsystem responsible
>for your bug your issue is likely to be black-holed.

If it should be a tainted kernel, e.g. special proprietary drivers
should be required for the hardware, excepted of a graphics driver, they
anyway might ignore a bug report.