shell pipe "loses" parts of the data, was: help needed to debug Perl script

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Thu Oct 18 05:41:55 UTC 2018

On 2018-10-17 19:20, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> One thing that's bitten me when reading from files (but not sure about
> pipes) is failing to close() the file before assuming I'm done
> reading.  Bytes were left behind on the table, so to speak.

thanks Ken and Ralph for all your suggestions.  Indeed, even in my case
there were bytes left on the table. Odd that it never happened before.
However, I am rewriting the whole flow to avoid these issues, using both
intermediate/temporary files (to avoid the problem Ken describes above)
and the strings command.

Will report if there are more problems, but at this point there
shouldn't
be finger crossed!)

Thanks again,
Marco