18.04 has no support for my printer

Brian ad44 at cityscape.co.uk
Wed Oct 17 12:06:39 UTC 2018

On Wed 17 Oct 2018 at 07:09:45 +0200, Charles Irons wrote:

[Snip]

> direct usb://HP/Deskjet%201510%20series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ&interface=1
>
> direct hp:/usb/Deskjet_1510_series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ

You can use either of these URIs but stick with the second one (or try
both).

As advised earlier, do

 lpadmin -p test -v <URI> -E -m <PPD>

and print with
 lp -d test /etc/nsswitch.conf

The point here is that we doing the same thing, which should make it
easier to track down a problem.

If there is no printing (or even if there is) carry out

 cupsfilter -p /etc/cups/test.ppd -m printer/foo -e /etc/nsswitch.conf > outfile 2>log

and look at log for any errors.

[Another snip]

> Checking for Configured Queues....
>
> warning: 3 queues of same device Deskjet-1510-series is configured.
> Remove unwanted queues.

Use the web interface or 'lpadmin -x <queue> for this.

--
Brian.