18.04 has no support for my printer

Charles Irons irons.charles at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 14:24:35 UTC 2018

> On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 at 21:22, Charles Irons <irons.charles at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Hello Ubuntu Support
> You know we're just a bunch of other users who try to help each
> other,right? :-)
> 18.04 looks good until I discover that I cannot print. Your advice
> will be a huge relief.
> You did not specify what printer you have, but it's in the log
> fileclipping that you posted.
> An HP Deskjet 1510 series -- is that right?
> My suggestions would be:
> [1] Try just deleting the printer, unplugging it, rebooting
> thecomputer, and plugging it in again. Ideally to a different
> port.Ubuntu should add a new instance and you might find that works
> fine.
> [2] If not, you can download the latest HP-LIP printer drivers and
> install them.
> As before, delete the printer *first*.
> HPLIP 3.18 is current. You have 3.17.
> https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/gethplip
> Pick "Ubuntu" from the list and click the "download" button.
> Followthe instructions.
> -- Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamprovenEmail:
> lproven at cix.co.uk - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus:
> lproven at gmail.comTwitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn:
> liamprovenUK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420
> 702 829 053
Hello Liam
After installing HP-Lip 3.18.9 that downloaded about 400 MB and took an
hour or so I got no printing.So used HP Device Manager to diagnose the
driver with this result right at the end:
Checking for Configured Queues....warning: Fail to read
ppd=/etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet-1510-series.ppd filewarning: Insufficient
permission to access file /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet-1510-series.ppdwarning:
Could not complete Queue(s) configuration check

Now how do I change permission for the .ppd file? Or copy it elsewhere?
I know this can be fixed. I just don't know how myself.
Thanks. Have fun. Chas--
Our preferred address is
irons.charles at gmail.comMobile   +2783 588 0028