18.04 has no support for my printer

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Tue Oct 16 11:45:05 UTC 2018

On 16/10/18 08:48, Brian wrote:
> On Tue 16 Oct 2018 at 00:20:35 +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:
[...]
>> If it means something else then I have misunderstood the message.
>
> It is to do with permissions.

OK.

> "CUPS" is often used as shorthand for "printing system", which is a
> collection of software from different sources. On occasion this is
> not very helpful. I would take CUPS to be the software at cups.org.

I take it to be the packages called 'cups*' in my current Ubuntu distro.

> As far as the drivers it provides:
>
> # /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-driverd dump | grep sample | wc -l
> 15

That is presumably just the ones that were installed.

> Many other drivers can indeed be listed by the web interface - but
> they are not shipped by CUPS.

OK, so it must be getting them in real time from a server somewhere.

These are the ones that are listed if I browse to localhost:631 and
click on Administration and go through the process and it eventually
lets you pick the make of printer (from Alps to Zebra) and for each one
it lists all the printers it knows about (for HP there are 3000 listed,
although many are alternative versions, eg 3.16.3 and 3.17.11, but it
includes three for the DeskJet 1510).

Thanks for clearing up my misinterpretation.

///Peter