'Emacs style' delete line shortcut (CTRL/U) doesn't work correctly in Firefox

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 07:27:52 UTC 2018

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 at 18:21, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:

> And I have a legal, all accounted and paid for ($99.90+tax) copy of WP8
> in a box with all dox, about 3.5" thick on a shelf above me. It very
> clearly, in blue plain text letters about 1" high, says FOR LINUX on the
> box. But what it didn't say was that it was for Corels version of linux,
> a costly abomination I had no intentions of trying to install. And guess
> what, its loaded with corel linux dependencies on stuff that Red Hat 5.1
> had already left behind in the late '90's. I've long since given up ever
> trying to use it on a decent linux so I still do not know what it looks
> like or how it runs.

I have a long-standing project to try to get it running in a container
and re-package the free version in that form, so that it could be used
on modern distros, in a distro-neutral form.

> Corel has of course vanished, cutting their own throat, but somebody at
> Corel owes me the hundred bucks I paid for it, plus interest over the
> last nearly 20 years.  One of the life lessons I've learned at the hands
> of someone too much like the old the M$.

I'd be very happy to take it off your hands, postage etc. included.

Corel is alive and well. So is WordPerfect which in its Windows form
is a pretty decent app these days.

Sadly, its management were both desperate and gullible.

First it decided Linux was clearly an important OS in the near future,
which was correct. It invested heavily: it developed Corel LinuxOS,
the friendliest spin of Debian ever at the time, with impressive
features for the time such as a graphical tool for adjusting screen
resolution settings, and IMHO the best distribution of KDE ever done.

It also invested in ARM-based Linux hardware, the NetWinder. This was
a great little machine.

And it did a Linux version of the whole WP office suite, by porting it
to WINE -- it recompiled the whole suite on winelib and then fixed the
bits that didn't work right. WP8 for Linux, OTOH, was a continuation
(indeed, the last version of) of the original WP for Unix line.
Remember that WP was not a DOS app originally -- MS-DOS was the 4th or
5th port of the software.

But then, some gullible idiot at HQ thought that the problems of WP
Office on Windows were that it didn't have the same style of buttons
and the same macro language as MS Office. (This, I think, is obvious
nonsense.)

It licensed the "MS Office look and feel" and Visual BASIC for
Applications from MS, for $LOTS.

Part of the deal was to kill all Corel's Linux efforts immediately.

So Corel sold off the NetWinder, spun off the Linux business as
Xandros (a decent distro in its day), and killed WP Office on Linux.

MS of course just changed the Office look & feel in the next version
anyway, as it does.

VBA made very little difference to anyone and I think it might have
been abandoned now anyway.

WP Office for Linux would never have made much money -- few Linux
users like paying for software -- but it would have legitimised
desktop Linux at the time. There was no credible office suite for
Linux back then. StarOffice was both obscure and commercial.