'Emacs style' delete line shortcut (CTRL/U) doesn't work correctly in Firefox

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Fri Oct 12 18:59:41 UTC 2018

On 12/10/18 17:19, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 12 October 2018 11:49:21 Peter Flynn wrote:
>> On 12/10/18 14:53, Liam Proven wrote:[...]
>>> WordPerfect Corp could probably make a decent fist of it, [...]
>> Actually they did. WP8 came with a fully-fledged XML editor [...]
>
> And I have a legal, all accounted and paid for ($99.90+tax) copy of WP8
> in a box with all dox, about 3.5" thick on a shelf above me. It very
> clearly, in blue plain text letters about 1" high, says FOR LINUX on the
> box. But what it didn't say was that it was for Corels version of linux,
> a costly abomination I had no intentions of trying to install.

My version was for Windows which they gave me to review. I did also
download their first Linux version, whose filename always amused me
(knowing some of the people involved :-) This was a gzipped tar file (no
filetype or extension): GUILG00

The point was that this was shortly after WordPerfect-for-Windows came
out — a GUI version was believed to be an aberration: the "real"
WordPerfect was still felt by staff to be the DOS character-cell version
(6), and many people would agree with them.

> Corel has of course vanished, cutting their own throat, but somebody at
> Corel owes me the hundred bucks I paid for it, plus interest over the
> last nearly 20 years.  One of the life lessons I've learned at the hands
> of someone too much like the old the M$.

They were told in no uncertain terms what to do, and chose to ignore it,
alas.

///Peter