'Emacs style' delete line shortcut (CTRL/U) doesn't work correctly in Firefox

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Fri Oct 12 18:34:04 UTC 2018

On 12/10/18 15:05, Liam Proven wrote:[me]
>> As you say, fixing Emacs is pretty straightforward.
>
> I wish I had the skills.

Me too. I can cobble together stuff for my .emacs file, but eLisp eLudes me.

> Mind you, CREAM is pretty impressive.

It is. It's also an anagram of EmacR :-)

> I wonder if the way to go is to make out that it is a whole _new_
> editor, but not mention that it's based on Emacs? :-D

It would be hard to hide the bodies, but yes, it could be done.

>> But to use it for editing plain, unmarked text is like using a Saturn V
>> launcher to rescue your drone stuck in a tree.
>
> Aha. Interesting. I've not heard it put like that before.

:-)

> It disagrees with one of my favourite ever tech essays:
>
> "In the Beginning was the Command Line"  by Neal Stephenson
> http://cristal.inria.fr/~weis/info/commandline.html

One of my faves too, but it's 20 years ago now. What I mean is, if you
only ever want to edit the ASCII text of novels, with no formatting and
no markup. Emacs is unnecessary. Notepad will do just fine.

> Hmmmmm. Maybe I should reconsider and give ErgoEmacs another go...

If I wanted to use a fancy GUI editor to edit XML there are dozens of
choices from the cheap[-ish] to the ludicrously expensive. Several of
them are really excellent, especially if you are developing the XSLT
styling and Javascript interaction as well as writing the XML code. But
not a single one of them is usable by someone who knows nothing about
pointy-bracket markup (with respect, most writers). Emacs in nxml-mode
or psgml-mode is even less usable by the non-XML person, but with those
modes it becomes the only validating XML editor that is completely free.
But it will break every rule you live by, so I suggest oXygen instead.

///Peter