'Emacs style' delete line shortcut (CTRL/U) doesn't work correctly in Firefox

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 16:02:42 UTC 2018

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 at 17:51, Peter Flynn <peter at silmaril.ie> wrote:

> Actually they did. WP8 came with a fully-fledged XML editor using an
> XML-based stylesheet mechanism. It worked well, but by then the XML
> people at WP were fleeing for other (corporate/management) reasons.

Oh really? I didn't know. I have a copy around here -- I must try it!

> Yes, it's not a very impressive start-up. Better than it used to be,
> though :-(

Ah.

> I think this is why MSMcQ was so insistent in his description that if
> you want macros, an editor should run a known, recognised programming
> language to write them in, not some concoction of the authors' liking.

Now I understand. Thanks.

> Ego has a lot to do with it. Not that I'm decrying what RMS has done —
> far from it, as he has had an uphill battle to fight.

True.

> The BIG missing bit in Linux is multimedia support: there are still too
> many formats out there which will get you the grey rectangle and "This
> format is not supported". Flash is obviously the worst offender by a
> long way.

Rarely happens to me any more, TBH. Very rarely. Ubuntu is a bit
better than openSUSE in that respect.

> I no longer take my laptop away on a trip. My large phone and BT
> keyboard work perfectly with a plaintext editor and a command window.

Hold that thought...

> > This is one place ChromeOS is strong. Stronger than almost anyone's
> > noticed. It's a clever play by Google.
>
> Never used it. If I can't run Emacs, Saxon (Java), and LaTeX it's not
> interesting.

[1] Do they run on your phone? 8-)

[2] ChromeOS now can run Linux apps in a sandbox -- so yes, it can.

Disclaimer -- I haven't got a Chromebook (yet) and haven't tried. But
the current and last few versions not only run the handful of native
apps, they also run Android and standard Linux apps.

> Perhaps we can take this to a private thread: I am writing a paper for
> next year's Markup UK on 'Software we have lost' and I'd appreciate
> knowing what other people rate as 'lost'.

You might find my FOSDEM talk from last year interesting, then:

https://liam-on-linux.livejournal.com/56835.html

> > Here's a wonderful ½hr 2013 presentation *pretending* to from 1973,
> > about what _should_ have been the next 40 years. Watch it, laugh, and
> > then mourn.
>
> I'm missing the link to that.

Oops!

https://youtu.be/8pTEmbeENF4