'Emacs style' delete line shortcut (CTRL/U) doesn't work correctly in Firefox

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 11:26:53 UTC 2018

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 at 12:40, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> Yes, but it's nowhere near as useful/powerful as a proper editor. One
> can't do multiple replacements or use regular expressions, etc.
>
> I can, for example, do a multiple replacement using REs in a text box
> in Firefox if I need to.

True.

But it's there. It's what you get. It's all very well being able to
customise my own desktop, but I can't do that with my own tablet, or
phone, or a friend's PC I'm fixing, let alone if it's my job and it's
a client's machine or a remote server or something.

So IMHO it's more important to be skilled in using the standard editor
than one particular nonstandard tool which you can't rely on being
there.

On considering, this is closely comparable to the argument for using
Vi -- that it's the one editor that's always there on a *nix
machine...