changing default grub entry??

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 09:53:34 UTC 2018

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 8:50 AM robert <robert at redcor.ch> wrote:

> I swaped my motherboard in a 16.04 box with 5 disks.
>
> Now the boot sequence has changed.
>
> I would like to have the 9th entry of the list that is displayed when
> I boot, to be default.
>
> this is what I tried (and failed):
>
> 1. in /etc/default/grub
>
> GRUB_DEFAULT=9
> #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
> GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
> GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
> GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
>
> 2. update-grub
>
> however, the default entry does not change.

How are you counting the entries? Is the 9th, the 10th listed in "grub.cfg"?

That's not how it works, unless you set "GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=y".

But by default, your grub menu'll be

linux_1
advanced_options_for_linux_1
linux_2
advanced_options_for_linux_2

If you want to boot the 3rd kernel in the
"advanced_options_for_linux_2" submenu, you have to set
"GRUB_DEFAULT=3>2" IIRC.