'Emacs style' delete line shortcut (CTRL/U) doesn't work correctly in Firefox

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 21:16:11 UTC 2018

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 at 21:25, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz at gmail.com> wrote:

> A lot of these are also available in XFCE4 - I use Xubuntu almost
> exclusively, and I routinely use the keyboard to do such things.

I used XFCE at work, after evaluating and discarding the then-current
versions of GNOME, KDE, LXDE, LXQt (and this year, Cinnamon).

At home I'm still on Unity. I think I'll have to reformat and switch to Xubuntu.

> All of those and more are available in XFCE4, though not always the
> exact same keys.

Noted. It's that the keys are different that throw me. Windows set the
standards back in about 1989 and switching to new ones after so long
is not easy.

> One of the things that hooked me into Xubuntu was that I can configure
> the keys almost any way I like.  The biggest exception is when I run
> any VM - it captures all the keystrokes, so the ones that work on my
> desktop get intercepted by the VMs (when I'm actually in that screen).

Well, yes, true.

> I presume these virtual desktops correspond at least roughly to Linux
> workspaces. I don't use Windows enough to know. One of my favorite
> features of all the Linux distros I use - they all have multiple
> workspaces with full switching, including moving windows between the
> workspaces.  I have dedicated key combinations to do that and to
> switch between workspaces (not the same as the defaults that come with
> the distros).

Yes, on all counts.

> > GNOME 2 was quite accessible via Orca. GNOME 3 threw all that away as
> > it threw a lot of stuff away and it's only slowly being put back,
> > piecemeal.
> >
> XFCE4 still has all that with customization built in.

Do you mean the customisability? If so, yes, agreed. But XFCE can't,
for instance, lock items to panels. When I set up a Xubuntu laptop for
a non-techie friend, I discovered how essential that is. 6mth later
she had an empty panel and an unusable desktop. :-(

If you mean the accessibility features -- then no, not AFAIK, sadly.

> Or those of us whose hands aren't quite as fine-motor-controlled they
> used to be, and the mice have such high resolution that the slightest
> nudge blasts half way across the screen.

Good point. I'm getting there quite quickly myself. :-(

> So you don't care for the ribbons either?  I find them to be the
> ultimate dumb-down insult to anyone who uses computers on a regular
> basis, even laymen who only do word processing or email or
> spreadsheets.

I utterly loathe them. It's one of the things I most _dis_like about
Win10. All the built in apps, even Explorer, only have ribbons now.

One of the great things about macOS MS Office is that you can
completely turn off the ribbon. The Mac UI means they had to leave the
menus in place, so it's still usable via the old UI.

Most keyboard shortcuts don't work, though.

>  LibreOffice is my suite unless I'm forced to use MSO,
> and with that I have to say that LO is terrible with some things.  LO
> docs with any special features (like a background image) do not
> present right in MSO, though not vice-versa.  I modified a PowerPoint
> in LO and it exploded from about 100k to 5 or 6 MB.  When I loaded it
> in PowerPoint and saved it, it shrunk right back down.  I don't know
> what LO does that causes it, but it's pretty bad.

I've not had that.

I use MS Word for its outliner, as LO Write doesn't have one. For the
rest, I use LO Calc, LO Impress and Thunderbird.