'Emacs style' delete line shortcut (CTRL/U) doesn't work correctly in Firefox

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Oct 11 10:47:25 UTC 2018

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 12:35:32PM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 at 12:29, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> > >
> > Windows has *always* had virtual desktops, I ran them on Windows 2000
> > and XP.  They came with a semi-official MS 'tweaks' thing if I
> > remmeber right.
> >
> > It has always amazed me that very few people use them, same on Linux.
>
> No.

Yes, well mostly :-)  See this page:-

    https://www.itprotoday.com/powertoys-windows-xp-review

Scroll down to "Virtual Desktop Manager", it says:-

    Many people don't realize this, but Windows NT has always had the
    ability to generate multiple desktop displays, even though the OS
    itself has never exposed this functionality in the UI. With Windows NT
    4.0 and 2000, I believe, a virtual desktop manager was made available
    through the Resource Kit. Now, for the first time, you can get one
    free with XP.

    The PowerToys version of this tool lets you work with up to four
    virtual desktops, each of which contains a copy of the Start menu,
    desktop, and taskbar. But each virtual desktop can be running
    different applications. So if you're a serious power user, you might
    separate groups of running applications into their own desktops.

So it was always in NT and 2000 and I believe the XP PowerToys was
somewhere on the XP installation media.  I used it on 2000 and I think
I used to used it on XP but that was a long[ish] time ago and I don't
remember how good (or bad) it was.

--
Chris Green