Settings

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 09:33:26 UTC 2018

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 at 22:47, Bob <ubuntu-qygzanxc at listemail.net> wrote:

> That is why I did not ask for help using the display through an HDMI
> connection, just stated I needed to wait for a fix.

OK, fair enough.

For what it's worth -- my take on something like this would be:
"something is wrong here and I need to find out what it is and if I
can fix it". A problem with using a port is a problem, full stop. The
fact that it _manifests_ as mouse issues and the screen is OK doesn't
mean "don't worry about it" -- it means there's a problem to
investigate.

> This has an Intel Pentium CPU N3710 quad core with Intel HD Graphics 405
> (Braswell)

OK.

Can you give me the full exact model number? It's probably on a
sticker on the bottom of the case.

> > Open "software & updates". Click the "additional drivers" tab. Enable
> > any additional options that you can. Reboot.
>
>  The additional drivers list is empty.  I did not see anything to enable.

OK, well that's good, actually, inasmuch as it rules out one avenue to explore.

> I think it is running X.org.  I do not know where to check if it is running
> X.11 or X.org.
>
> OK I will try Wayland.

So you found it? :-)

> > And as I always say, ensure that you are on the latest system firmware
> > for your machine.
>
> As I understand it Ubuntu automatically updates the Intel firmware.  Correct me
> if I am wrong.

What? No! Not at all. If it did, it would not be something I always
say, would it?

Firmware updates are, generally, something you must manually do
yourself, from Windows or booted off a USB key or something.

Even in Windows, where you have a supported tool, and a program to
check, and you run the check, it's not automatic. e.g. my own Thinkpad
X220, which I recently discovered to my great surprise actually has
UEFI, and dual-boots the latest Win10, and has the Lenovo System
Checker (or whatever it's called) installed.

I only boot Windows once in a few months. Lots of updates then follow.
The Lenovo tool runs automatically and checks. It never found new
firmware.

But nonetheless, there _was_ newer firmware and a couple of months ago
I had to download it myself and install it myself.

(It didn't change anything, but I like to keep current.)

Give me the _exact_ model number and find out what version your
firmware is -- go into it and look for an "about" screen or version
number -- and  I will find the current one and tell you if you need to
update.