printing issues RESOLVED

Gary J. Kirkpatrick garyartista at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 20:42:11 UTC 2018

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 8:50 PM Brian <ad44 at cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sun 25 Nov 2018 at 20:40:34 +0100, Gary J. Kirkpatrick wrote:

> HPLIP.
> > >
> > > The reason I asked whether the USB cable had been disconnected was
> > > because of
> > >
> > > device for HP_DeskJet_3630_series_61C73D_:
> > > ipp://HP18602461C73D.local:631/ipp/print
> > >
> > > The "_" after 73D" in HP_DeskJet_3630_series_61C73D_ is indicative
> > > of a typical queue name that ippusbxd gives a USB queue. It appears
> > > in one of your earlier posts when you did have the USB connection
> > > you speak of.
> > >
> > > However, you then switched to a wireless connection by altering
> > > cups-browsed.conf. What I think is happening is that the previous
> > > USB queue is now modified and, in that situation, the queue is
> > > released from the control of cups-browsed. Which is why the queue
> > > did not disappear when cups-browsed was stopped.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Brian.
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> > It's odd to have a printer that one can not delete.  Does not seem to be
> > problem as long as you avoid choosing it.
>
> Maybe. But just now I am more interested in how you got simple-scan to
> work when 'scanimage -L' doesn't show any scanners.
>
> --
> Brian.

Here is what you wrote and I followed your instructions at the end

Having said that, you have, very unfortunately, encountered LP Bug
#1797501:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/1797501

This is the reason for the lack of scanner discovery with scanimage.
It is revealed by your useful avahi-browse output for _uscan._tcp. The
error should show up in journalctl. The TXT record for _uscan._tcp has

ty=DeskJet 3630 series

The first three characters are removed to give

kJet 3630 series  (Check journalctl for this after doing scanimage -L).

and /usr/share/hplip/data/models/model.dat is searched for this device.
It does not exist, which is why you cannot scan. So - we will make it
exist!

Edit models.dat and add this section:

[kjet_3630_series]
scan-type=7