Editing configuration files

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Sat Nov 24 13:15:46 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-11-23 at 18:29 +0000, Ian Bruntlett wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> What is the preferred way to edit text configuration files that
> require root access?

Nobody has mentioned using joe, for example
sudo joe /etc/aliases

joe has a default line length limit which I've not managed to
permanently override by a config file but for editing files with longer
line lengths, for example
sudo joe -rmargin 200 /etc/postfix/header_checks_regexp

does the trick. I only need to do a reverse command search for the file
name I regularly edit. Easy.

Ctrl-K H
puts up the help display.

Just another editing option, which I happen to prefer.

Dave