printing issues

Brian ad44 at cityscape.co.uk
Sat Nov 24 11:44:00 UTC 2018

On Sat 24 Nov 2018 at 07:19:34 +0100, Gary J. Kirkpatrick wrote:

[Snip]

> As I mentioned, printing is now fine.  However scanning does not.  simple
> scan says no scanner detected.
>
>  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
>   # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
>   # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

sane-find-scanner is only for a USB connected scanner. You have a
scanner which is on the network. 'scanimage -L' is the command to
use.

>   # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
> that
>   # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
>
> could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0003 at 002:001: Access denied
> (insufficient permissions)
> could not open USB device 0x04f3/0x0335 at 001:005: Access denied
> (insufficient permissions)
> could not open USB device 0x8087/0x07dc at 001:004: Access denied
> (insufficient permissions)
> could not open USB device 0x046d/0xc534 at 001:003: Access denied
> (insufficient permissions)
> could not open USB device 0x174f/0x14b7 at 001:002: Access denied
> (insufficient permissions)
> could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 001:001: Access denied
> (insufficient permissions)
>   # No USB scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
> that
>   # you have loaded a kernel driver for your USB host controller
>
> Any suggestions?

Your device has a Webscan feature. See the manual.

If you prefer to use simple-scan, you will have to install a small
portion of the HPLIP software:

  apt install --no-install-recommends libsane-hpaio

--
Brian.