printing issues RESOLVED

Gary J. Kirkpatrick garyartista at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 18:15:25 UTC 2018

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 4:00 PM Brian <ad44 at cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri 23 Nov 2018 at 14:37:03 +0100, Gary J. Kirkpatrick wrote:
>
> [Snip]
>
> >   lp -d DeskJet-3630-series /etc/nsswitch.conf
> > request id is DeskJet-3630-series-50 (1 file(s))
> >
> >  lp -d DeskJet_3630new /etc/nsswitch.conf
> > request id is DeskJet_3630new-51 (1 file(s))
> >
> > Print quality very good although off the margin on left
>
> Good. Both these HPLIP queues use the same filters. The margin issue is
> minor.
>
> > Then  systemctl stop cup
> > Failed to stop cup.service: Unit cup.service not loaded.
>
> cup.service is an invalid service name. I actually gave cups-browsed as
> the service to stop. This was only to demonstate to you that the queue
> which keeps coming back is managed by cups-browsed.
>
> > gary18 at gary18:~$   lp -d HP_DeskJet_3630_series_61C73D_
> /etc/nsswitch.conf
> > request id is HP_DeskJet_3630_series_61C7
> >
> > It printed again, same as above.
>
> Good. This is a driverless queue auto-created by cups-browsed. It has
> nothing to do with HPLIP.
> >
> > I have 3 printers listed under Devices
>
> There are three devices shown by 'lpstat -t'.
>
> > Note I use both the 18.04 and the Unity interfaces.  I may have used a
> > third interface.
>
> The interface used shouldn't matter.
>
> > I think I answered everything you asked.
>
> You have indeed, and it shows you have a working printing system. You
> can, if you wish, do more testing with a more varied selection of files
> printed with different applcations.
>
> Here is what I would do on your system for printing:
>
> 1. Decide whether to use one or other of the USB or wireless connections.
>
> 2. If USB is chosen, delete the two HPLIP queues. You could also purge
>    HPLIP from the system as it is no longer used.
>
> 3. If wireless is chosen, uncomment "CreateIPPPrinterQueues All" in
>    /etc/cups/cups-browsed.conf" and restart cups-browsed. Delete the two
>    HPLIP queues. You could also purge HPLIP as it is no longer used.
>
> Keep things simple; you do not need USB and wireless at the same time.
> And, by using driverless printing, all HPLIP bugs can be avoided and
> nobody need bother about installing non-free plugins for printing ever
> again.
>
> --
> Brian.

I purged  HPLIP sudo apt-get remove --purge hplip.

I removed the printer I installed wirelessly (I never installed one to
print by USB).  I still have a printer I can not remove using
'System/Devices/Printers.'  It is
labeled  HP_DeskJet_3630_series_61C7.    I can not print from it when using
the Ubuntu interface, I can with the Unity interface-  I can not delete it
from there either as I gave no print interface, that is, there is no
System/Devices/Printers.
I added the printer using  'System/Devices/Printers.'  It works and appears
to be working correctly.

I uncommented "CreateIPPPrinterQueues All.  I restarted CUP sudo systemctl
restart cups.service  I now have 3 printers listed .

Seems to be printing fine.

thanks

Garyk