fsck from grub menu, no longer working

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 12:43:59 UTC 2018

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 1:17 PM Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 at 12:21, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> IIRC, these are whiptail menu choices that are presented when you
>> select single-user mode.
>
> *Googles*
>
> Ah, so the OP is not distinguishing between commands and menu-based
> operation? I think this is maybe the point at which I opt out.
>
>> IIRC, again, "dpkg" launches some package-repair commands and "clean"
>> clears out the package cache either completely or of
>> no-longer-downloadable packages.
>
> So the latter is just "apt clean", which can be run even on a
> fully-running system from a terminal window?
>
> Nothing special in that.

Well. It's Ubuntu being friendly to the users who want it.

You choose the "recovery" item in the grub menu and you get a friendly
menu of actions.

It's on of the first things that I uninstall but it's clearly being
used by some; like the OP.

"clean" might run "apt-get clean" or "apt-get autoclean". I'd have to
download the .dpkg to find out.