bottledaemon stop/start doesn't work if killed elsewhere

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 15:57:41 UTC 2018

On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 at 16:02, Adam Funk <a24061 at ducksburg.com> wrote:

> > So, not any kind of 'buntu, then? :-)
>
> No, sorry, I posted to the wrong list!

I know,  I saw your comment. Don't worry about it. Firstly, it
happens, and secondly, as I said, I think it's broadly relevant.

But the OOM killer bringing a server down in this day and age is a
worrying thing...

> That's right: /boot has to be on the SD card, but everything else is
> more reliable on the USB drive.

OK. I don't run Linux a lot on my 'Pis (I'm more interesting in RISC
OS, Ultibo, Oberon and other OSes) and have no Raspbian so my Linux
card contains the whole distro, on ext2, with noatime, no swap and
just ZRAM. It's quite quick.

> I'll take a look, thanks.

People are very sceptical about ZRAM, Zswap and their kin, but there's
no need to be.

I know swapping to RAM sounds crazy, but I think the proof that the
idea works is
that it was introduced as standard in Mac OS X as of version 10.9 "Mavericks":

https://www.lifewire.com/understanding-compressed-memory-os-x-2260327

The OS X implementation is slightly superior, inasmuch as it both
compresses into a swapfile in RAM, then writes the compressed info
into disk swap if required. In Linux terms it's a combination of ZRAM
+ ZSwap + ZCache.

The tech is also in Win10:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ram-compression-improves-memory-responsiveness-windows-10/

And in ChromeOS, Android and IBM AIX.

So it's pretty mainstream stuff now. Multicore processors help a lot
-- a lot of code is still single-threaded, and with ZRAM, idle cores
can be used to do the compression, while other cores are busy.

So given the RasPi's limited CPU and disk bandwidth, but multiple
cores, I'd recommend it.