fsck from grub menu, no longer working

Ian Bruntlett ian.bruntlett at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 09:57:54 UTC 2018

Hi There,

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 at 23:09, Udvarias Ur <udvarias1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The output from 'mount | grep -i sd' in root option of recovery mode is …
>
> /dev/sda6 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered)
>
> This output indicates that the root filesystem is automatically mounted
> in 'recovery mode' exactly the same way that it is mounted with a normal
> boot.
>

>From what I can see, it appears:-
* You are running Linux with a root partition on /dev/sda6
* This means /dev/sda6 is mounted

My understanding is you can't run fsck on a mounted partition.

My approach to this would be to boot Linux from a live CD / USB Ubuntu
media. This should mean that /dev/sda6 will mounted at that time and you
should be able to fsck /dev/sda6

What do other people think?

Also, there is a package called smartmontools that contains the smartctl
program that can be used to monitor the health of hard drives. If that is
installed then "man smartctl" should give you sufficient information.

HTH,

Ian

-- Free Software page -
https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software