login to server ok but cannot login to another server from the first

Mark Barton mark at atldes.com
Sat Nov 3 15:27:14 UTC 2018

On 11/3/18 10:47 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 at 14:34, Peter Silva <peter at bsqt.homeip.net> wrote:
>> how old are the keys?  The new version might have deprecated DSA keys or something?
>> Perhaps generate newish RSA keys.
>>
>> 2nd option: -oIdentitiesOnly=yes
>> sometimes the credential caching daemon causes the remote to say too many tries.
>> the above option may help.
> Would that explain why C->B works and B->A works but not C->B->A?
>
> Colin

>>> That is odd, I do it all the time.  So just to recap, you can logon
>>> directly on B and see
>>> me at B:~$ ssh A
>>> with no username specified and it works fine, but if you ssh to B from
>>> C then you see the same thing
>>> me at B:~$ ssh A
>>> but this time it asks for a password?
>>>
>>> Colin

I was able to connect a monitor to that headless
server (server A) and I verified that I could
connect to server B using a key. I also tried it
with a raspberry Pi bypassing the 18.04 server.
The results where identical which tells me that is
not specific to the 18.04 install.

Thinking back I might have used a single key for
each client but I am not sure if that is true is
all cases.

Colin,

Yes the sequence you described is correct.

Peter,

The keys I'm using are RSA and have been freshly
generated on each client.