Is a simple method of blocking a particular domain name or IP address set available

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Thu May 17 19:50:54 UTC 2018

On 18/05/2018, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 May 2018 at 16:51, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Etherape shows it to involve a single domain name (llnw.net) and its
>> IP address set (117.121.253.xxx).
>
> llnw.net is Limelight Networks, a CDN.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limelight_Networks
>
> In other words, harmless in and of themselves. They serve content for their
> customers to users.
>
> If you have a video or internet radio station playing, that'd do it. Or
> downloads from many sites.

I have some videos paused, but I had not thought that their servers
would be polling my computer, while the videos are paused, which I
assume is what is happening,l from what you have said.

> You could just put an entry in /etc/hosts mapping llnw.net to 127.0.0.1 or
> something like that.

With your
" In other words, harmless in and of themselves"
maybe, with the traffic still occurring after I tried to stop it using
the ufw instructions, I should just leave it alone.

Unless I am told otherwise, then, I will probably do that - just leave it alone.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."