Is a simple method of blocking a particular domain name or IP address set available

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Thu May 17 14:48:25 UTC 2018

Hello.

I am running UbuntuMATE 16.04.

Continuous Internet traffic is shown to be occurring.

Etherape shows it to involve a single domain name (llnw.net) and its
IP address set (117.121.253.xxx).

I have tried to add a rule to deny it, using the Ubuntu firewall
software available through the Control Centre, but it requires, and,
limits each rule to, a single port number (which I do not know how to
find, for the traffic).

Is a simple method of blocking a particular domain name or IP address
set available, so that I can deny access to this domain name and/or
its IP address set?

Searching for the problem, shows that it is an international problem,
with this particular domain name (it is one of its subdomians, that
applies to this particular problem for me; the geographical Australian
subdomain, in my particular case, and, similarly for other localised
subdomains, for people in other countries), but I can't figure how to
deny the access for the domain name.

It seems to me, to be spyware.

Thank you in anticipation.

--