Ubuntu 18.04 - GNOME - Desktop icon conflict

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu May 17 08:36:29 UTC 2018

On Thu, 17 May 2018 at 00:32, Peter Flynn <peter at silmaril.ie> wrote:

> I did, but it too failed to install properly on the Dell XPS 15,
> although it got further than everything else bar Mint, and I did
> actually use it for a day or two before I realised that Moksha is even
> more out of date than the E in the Ubuntu/Mint repos.

Well, yes, but intentionally so, AFAICT.

> I'm prepared to put up with that by staying one or two versions behind.

Fair enough.

> I was a devoted 4.1.3 user until the Millenium when I jumped with the
> rats from the sinking ship and moved all production to Linux. My
> SparcStation IPX (Ireland's first web server) is still sitting in my
> office, awaiting the day which will now never come when I can find out
> how to restore the battery-backed config to life and get it to boot.

Aha!

I gave away my IPX but the hack is well-documented, e.g.

http://www.obsolyte.com/sunFAQ/faq_nvram.html

The ClassicCmp.org mailing list can also offer help, and maybe SunRescue.

> Messy, but the decade of stagnation meant that it had a long way to
> catch up.

Fair point.

Enlightenment is now the standard desktop on the Samsung Tizen
embedded/mobile Linux:

https://www.tizen.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tizen

... so I hope it will thrive.

> I missed them, unfortunately. I ditched Fedora for Ubuntu many years ago.

Probably wise! :-)

> I now have to start making a case to move all the work servers from
> CentOS6/7 to Ubuntu server so that we can have up-to-date versions of
> our LAMPS stack, against resistance from some people who value
> "stability" over utility. But that's for next week...

Ah yes. Another common problem.

If you stay current, CentOS isn't so bad, I suspect.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053