Ubuntu 18.04 - GNOME - Desktop icon conflict

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed May 16 09:20:17 UTC 2018

On Tue, 15 May 2018 at 23:33, Peter Flynn <peter at silmaril.ie> wrote:

> On 15/05/18 17:08, Liam Proven wrote:> Caja is the Maté file manager.
> Maté is a fork of GNOME 2; as such Caja is a
> > fork of GNOME 2's version of Nautilus.

> Thank you...always nice to know the origins. Main thing is, it seems to
> work without annoyances.

If one were to read between the lines, I was passing sad and ironic comment
on how the file manager from v2 of GNOME works well whereas the one from v3
of GNOME is widely regarded as crippled in various ways.

Such is "progress".

> >> I have moved to Enlightenment for this reason (among others).
> >
> > Fair enough. On Bodhi Linux or directly from the repos?

> At the moment, under Mint, because it was the only OS variant that would
> install correctly on this laptop (Dell XPS 15). But Enlightenment and
> Terminology are installed from additional repos from niko2040 because
> the main once are seriously out of date.

Ah, yes. Mind you, Enlightenment is a fast-moving target.

You might find it interesting to look at Bodhi Linux, which is the only
Ubuntu variant I know of to be based on Enlightenment. However, because
Rasterman keeps releasing new versions without working all the wrinkles out
of the old ones, the Bodhi maintainers have found it necessary to fork E17
to create what they call Moksha. It does not attempt to track the latest
releases.

I would also point out that Rasterman pulled the same trick that the
maintainers of Solaris and Java did: drop the part of the version number
before the decimal point in order to make the product look much more mature
and fast moving.

Java went: 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and coming soon 10.

SunOS 4.x was renamed Solaris. Then came Solaris v2, AKA SunOS 5.0, and
after that, it went 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11... and then
it was axed.

Spot the jump in both.

Enlightenment went 0.01, 0.02, 0.03 etc. up to 0.17 -- when the version
number didn't move for 12 years. After that, it was renamed DR17 and was
followed by DR18, 19, 20, 21 and 22.

This rapid incrementation after a long period of stability has displeased a
lot of people so there are now maintained forks of E16, E17 *and* the
current version.

> That's good. I moved to Enlightenment quite a few years ago so I haven't
> checked back to see what others offer. Perhaps it's because E has it as
> the default, but on others it's a switchable option.

It'as the default on XFCE on some distros, e.g. Fedora. It is also the
default desktop style on Elementary OS, and one of the basic choices when
installing LXLE. This is not something new -- it's been the case for about
a decade.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053