Difficul;ties with trying to install and use tv adaptor

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Tue May 15 21:37:30 UTC 2018

On 16/05/2018, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> Bret Busby wrote:

<snip>

>> So, a couple of hours later, it started working again.
>
> But did you replug the device before it started to work?

Yes, I had done that, a number of times, on each computer.

>> It appears to take a couple of hours, for the software to detect the
>> device and the signals.
>
> Which is quite unlikely IMHO. It only takes a few seconds for a DVB
> device to be available for the applications. I'd rather suppose a
> problem with the USB connection. As there seems to be a problem with two
> different machines, I would expect the problem to be at the device or
> the USB cable and not the computer.

With both computers; one having an i7CPU and 32GB of RAM, and, the
other having an i3CPU and 16GB of RAM, whilst it may appear to be
neither credible nor rational, it does take about two hours, for the
software to detect the device, and, to detect the television signals.

That much, I have managed to figure out - by waiting a couple of
hours, it works (inasmuch as it does work).

Both computers have the USB port used for the device, next to a USB
port that is used for an external HDD.

The i7 system needed for me to use a hub for the TV tuner device, as
the molding around the metallic part of the USB plug on it, is too
wide to fit into the USB socket when the adjacent USB socket is used.
However, on that computer, I was able to kind of use Kaffeine (it did
display the video from the television channels, and, it did detect two
of the television networks, whereas, on the i3 system, it did not do
either), but, as mentioned previously, the sound was weird, as
previously described. That weirdness of the sound, applied to both
Kaffeine and MeTV, on that computer.

> Another reason for problems would be a USB hub if you use one. All the
> TV devices I had so far wanted to use the maximum available current from
> the USB port and there would be nothing left for a USB hub. So if you
> use a USB hub, try to connect the device directly to the computer.

As mentioned above. The i3 computer does not involve a hub, in the
connection of the TV tuner device to the computer. Only MeTV works
with the TV tuner device on that computer, and, it detects only one
network of the five networks and a standalone (community) television
channel.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale