Ubuntu 18.04 - GNOME - Desktop icon conflict

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Tue May 15 15:38:27 UTC 2018

On 15/05/18 01:56, Jim wrote:
> On 05/14/2018 12:20 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 May 2018 at 18:40, Jim <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> That's certainly true. Since that time they seem to almost delight in
>>> arbitrarily removing features and functionality.  Removing the ability
>>> to have two panes open in Nautilus seemed like the most user unfriendly
>>> thing you could do to a file manager. I can't remember ever seeing any
>>> reason of why it was done, other than that's what the developers
>>> decided.

Dolphin used to be able to do that and it was hugely useful. But then
someone screwed with the location of icons, and it broke, and I've never
managed to get it working since. But then I found Caja, which is like a
Nautilus/Thunar but lets you enlarge the icons so they can be used as
previews for images.

>> I also dislike the desktop layout. [...] Along with desktop icons,
>> notification icons in the top panel are now deprecated.
>
> Myself, I don't care about desktop icons, as I never use them.

I have moved to Enlightenment for this reason (among others).

> [...] that launcher that sat a the bottom of the screen, can't even
> remember it's name, I starting using it and never messed with desktop
> icons again.
Dock on a Mac; Enlightenment used to call it a "panel" but rewrote it
and currently calls it a Bryce (after someone) but it's due to be
renamed something else in the next release. It slides out of sight (bar
one pixel) when not in use, and slides back up when your pointer
trespasses on that pixel-height boundary. It's about as Mac-like as
Linux gets ATM. It can also go at the top or down the side.

But my Windows-using colleagues are firmly welded at the hip to desktop
icons, especially since they started using W10.

///Peter