Ubuntu 18.04 - GNOME - Desktop icon conflict

Jim jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Mon May 14 16:37:52 UTC 2018

On 05/14/2018 08:23 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Mon, 14 May 2018 at 15:15, Ian Bruntlett <ian.bruntlett at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That is a pity as I was looking forward to using GNOME.
>
> I agree.
>
> https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/01/gnome-desktop-icons-removed-3-28
>
> I fear I am not popular with the GNOME development team, as I have
> expressed my dislike clearly, asked awkward questions and been a nuisance.
> :-(
>
> Some people like it a lot, but compared to where it was 10 years ago, when
> it was *the* dominant graphical desktop for free UNIX, what has happened is
> a tragedy, IMHO.
>
> Every free Unix OS offered GNOME 2 -- as well as all Linux distros, it was
> on OpenSolaris, on FreeBSD, on Darwin, everything.
>
> GNOME 3 ended that.

That's certainly true. Since that time they seem to almost delight in
arbitrarily removing features and functionality.  Removing the ability
to have two panes open in Nautilus seemed like the most user unfriendly
thing you could do to a file manager. I can't remember ever seeing any
reason of why it was done, other than that's what the developers
decided. I used Nemo for awhile but for some reason never felt that
comfortable with it. I've been using Double Commander for quite awhile
now and don't miss Nautilus at all anymore.

Regards,  Jim