Difficul;ties with trying to install and use tv adaptor

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Sat May 12 21:25:46 UTC 2018

Hello.

I have purchased and tried to install, a tv adaptor;
    AVerMedia A867R AVerTV Volar HD Nano USB TV Tuner
for PAL digital television in Austyralia, on UbuntuMATE 16.04.x

I have tried to do it on two separate computers.

I tried to inslall MythTV, which would not install from the Ubuntu
Software Centre, because it wants to get rid of MySQL, also tried to
install MeTV and TVTime.

Amongst other problems, apparently, the tv device is not detected.

Ins earching to find whether Linux drivers are available for the
device (the advertisements showed that it should work with Linux, and,
the shop salesperson told me that it should work with MythTV running
on Linux), I found, from
https://www.mail-archive.com/search?q=a867r&l=linux-media%40vger.kernel.org
that, as of 2012, Linux apparently incororayed a driver for the device.

But, the device is apparently not detected, and IO can not use it.

On the MythTV list, apparently, a process exists for installing (the
latest version of) MythTV, on Ubuntu, but, the Ubuntu version of
MythTV, apparently requires the elimination of MySQL.

I am wondering whether a simple method exists, of getting this device
working on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04, without having to eliminate MySQL.

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale