Workspaces on 18.04 LTS

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.net
Sun May 6 20:14:05 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2018-05-06 at 21:05 +0100, Ian Bruntlett wrote:
> In 16.04 I had a 2x2 matrix of 4 workspaces and it was really useful.
>
> In 18.04 I now have a 3x1 matrix of 3 workspaces and it isn't as
> good. Is there a way to adjust this to behave like 16.04?

If what you're concerned about is the total number of workspaces, you
can make as many as you like.  By default GNOME will always create one
more workspace than you're using.  It starts with 2 and if you put
something on the second one it will create third empty one; if you put
something on the third it creates a fourth empty one, etc.  If a
workspace goes empty then it will be removed (and other workspaces
moved up to fill in).

You can instead request a certain number always exist: in order to do
this you need to install GNOME Tweak Tool:

    sudo apt install gnome-tweak-tool

then run it (for example bring up the HUD and type "tweak" to search
for it).

At the bottom is a section for "Workspaces" and you can select "Static
Workspaces" and select the number.

If what you're concerned about is the layout, then I'm not aware of any
way to change the current linear layout back to rectangular.  Perhaps
there's a GNOME Extension which will do it but I don't know.