Default position of document icons on screen

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu May 3 13:59:58 UTC 2018

On Thu, 3 May 2018 at 15:24, Séamas Ó Brógáin <sob at leabhair.ie> wrote:

> Greetings.

> I would like to change the default position on the screen of new
> documents or downloaded documents (Ubuntu 18.04), which at present is
> the top left-hand corner. Is there any way of doing this?

If it's there, it's probably in GNOME Tweak Tool. But the functionality has
been removed from upstream GNOME and will probably disappear from the next
release of Ubuntu.

FWIW, I replace my file manager (and desktop too) with Nemo, the file
manager from Cinnamon. It contains all the functionality removed from the
last few versions of Nautilus and more.

This gives you the ability to have icons arranged vertically (in columns)
or horizontally (in rows) but you don't get to pick the origin.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053