Long pause duign apt updates

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu May 3 04:39:17 UTC 2018

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 6:05 AM, Peter Flynn <peter at silmaril.ie> wrote:

> Why is there always a loooooong pause (at leasta  minute, maybe more) at
> THIS exact stage of any apt or apt-get upgrade:
>
> Processing triggers for shared-mime-info (1.5-2ubuntu0.1) ...
> Unknown media type in type 'all/all'
> Unknown media type in type 'all/allfiles'
>
> Is there something going on that need fixing? This has been happening on
> everything from 16.04 onwards, and it happens on Ubuntu-based systems
> like Mint as well.

I haven't seen it on any of my Trusty 16.04 systems, but a quick search
using Google turned up this that MIGHT explain your problem:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/456183/what-does-unknown-media-type-in-type-all-all-mean/456249

That points to bug 289592

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/shared-mime-info/+bug/289592

This bug seems to say the problem (for most folks?) was some KDE package
that inserted strange entries into the mimetypes database. It looks like
you can ignore the errors, or delete the bad entries, or delete and
re-create the entire database. Note some folks had some difficulties after
deleting the database, so I suggest you might move it instead, and if your
system becomes unstable, move the original back in place.