Protecting a file from accidentally being sent.

Owen Thomas owen.paul.thomas at gmail.com
Wed May 2 12:14:36 UTC 2018

On 2 May 2018 at 21:39, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2 May 2018 at 13:19, Owen Thomas <owen.paul.thomas at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Maybe I'm mistaken, but I seem to recall that when a Windows (circa 95)
> shortcut appeared in a file selection dialogue, the shortcut, and not the
> file it referred to was selected.
>
> > It's probably been "fixed" by now. Who knows...
>
> I think that's what happened with 16-bit apps (or Windows NT 3.x apps)
> which didn't understand shortcuts.

Ubuntu should have something that behaves like Win95 shortcuts - if only
perhaps as a feature of the desktop. I feel like sending a file that
contains the path and name to some obscure archive to a "recruiter"
inadvertently sometimes...

Maybe it doesn't have to be a file to the OS - it could just be a desktop
thing that is opaque to the OS.

Recruiters aside, it'd be a nice feature. Let's make it happen.

Hommmm.....