Search for utility to identify source of WWW traffic

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Mar 31 20:12:50 UTC 2018

On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 12:23:27 -0800, Bob wrote:
>I think it is a highjacked computer

That is guessing.

Take a look at other Bret threads, e.g.

Liam's guess:
"[snip] My reluctant conclusion is that Bret [snip] is unwilling or
unable to take advice, and he will not supply the people trying to help
him with direct, honest, open answers. [snip]" -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2018-March/293756.html

He consistently is ignoring explanations from this mailing list, e.g.
quoting release notes and ignoring security warnings, see
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2018-March/293769.html

I suspect Liam and I are not the only subscribers thinking something
like this:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2018-March/293778.html

Consider to take a look at the "Query about parasitic firefox file"
thread and to take a look at the "Unable to write to new partitions"
thread.

He still did not reply to my request to post the output of

  lsb_release -a

and the output of

  apt list packagename_of_browser_1 packagename_of_browser_2

We also don't know if any browser add-on is used, that might require
some traffic. maybe we could help him, if we would know the IP.

Sure, it could be that one of Bret's completely messed up installs is
highjacked, e.g. by a security whole of an outdated browser, but it's
also possible, that a messed up install suffers from another issue,
without access from a hacker. We don't have any useful information.