Unable to write to new partitions

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Mar 18 14:04:16 UTC 2018

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 11:44:21 +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
>There's been an awful lot of verbiage on this thread

If we provide simple explanations, without detailed explanations of
commands we suggest, we get abused for not providing enough
information. If we go into details, it's considered to be blah blah.
Unfortunately the directory vs file permission issue is tricky, not
easy to explain, if you take all possible pitfalls into account.
However, I'll refrain to continue explaining details.

>Therefore this should have been chmod 777 ("rwxrwxrwx").
                                       ^^^
                                       Those numbers are not clearly
and concisely, see [1].

See [2], as already pointed out as plain as it can be

  sudo chmod [...]+x /path/to/mountpoint

should do the job.

>Note that world-writable files and directories are common security
>vulnerabilities, and you should consider instead restricting the
>ability to write to these file systems to just those users that
>actually need it.

That's why I did not recommended to run

  sudo chmod a+x /path/to/mountpoint

Regards,
Ralf

[1]

From "man chmod":
"A  combination  of the letters ugoa controls which users' access to the
file will be changed: the user who owns it (u), other users in the
file's group (g), other users not in the file's group (o), or all users
(a).  If none of these are given, the effect is as if (a) were given,
but bits that are set in the umask are not affected."

[2]