Unable to write to new partitions

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 18:21:09 UTC 2018

On 18/03/2018, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> To keep a long story short, simply set the x falg:
>
> sudo chmod [...]+x /path/to/mountpoint

No - it is not quite that simple.

After the time that I have spent on it tonight (the time here is now
about 0200), I have found and implemented the solution, and tested it,
and it worked.

I believe that I have previously suffered the problem, found the
solution, and, forgotten both the cause and the solution. I am getting
old.

The problem comes from the permissions and the ownership of the partititons.

This computer has had about five operating systems installed; MS Win8,
Debian 6, Debian 7, Ubuntu 14.04, and UbuntuMATE 16.04.

The MSWin8 stuff is unusable.

The Debian 6 installation, I had dealt with, some years ago, and had
forgotten the solution.

The Debian 7 installation is still there; complete-ish, and, active
when invoked, as is the Ubuntu 14.04 installation.

Because a partition can not be resized when it is mounted (or so I
believe), the Ubuntu 14.04  partition was resized using the Debian 7
installation gparted, so, the partition Data05 was created by the
Debian 7 superuser, which thence owned the partitition, and, thence,
had the only authorisation to change its permissions.

Likewise, the Data06 partition was created by the Ubuntu 14.04
installation, in resizing the Debian 7 / partition, and, so, the
partition Data06 was created by the Ubuntu 14.04 superuser, which
thence owned the partitition, and, thence, had the only authorisation
to change its permissions.

So, I went into the Debian 7 installation, and ran chmod 777 on the
Data05 partition from there, and, similarly, went into the Ubuntu
14.04 installation, and, ran chmod 777 on the Data06 partition from
there, and, rebooted into UbuntuMATE 16.04, and, successfully copied
and pasted LiveLongAndProspurr.png to the Data05 partition, and, then
to the Data06 partition.

So, the nature of the problem, from which, the solution arose, is that
the permissions and the ownerships of the two partitions, belonged to
the superusers of the operating systems that created them, from whence
the chmod command was required to be ran, to be effective, to provide
the access to the operations to be run on the two partitions, such as
creating directories, and, reading and writing files.

Like the demented talking meerkat in the television advertisements to
which we are here subjected, repeatedly says; "Simples".

--

Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."