Too much data requested from _XRead

David L david4lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 21:08:13 UTC 2018

I updated one of my boot partitions to 18.04 beta, updated/upgraded and
installed an nvidia driver since the stock driver for my card was hanging.
After doing so, a gtk based proprietary application that runs fine in
14.04, 16.10, and OSX started consistently crashing in 18.04 with
inconsistent error messages like:

[xcb] Too much data requested from _XRead
[xcb] This is most likely caused by a broken X extension library
[xcb] Aborting, sorry about that.
sim1: ../../src/xcb_io.c:732: _XRead: Assertion
`!xcb_xlib_too_much_data_requested' failed.
sim1: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

and:

sim1: Fatal IO error 2 (No such file or directory) on X server :0.
The program 'sim1' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadImplementation (server does not implement operation)'.
  (Details: serial 442 error_code 17 request_code 20 minor_code 0)

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks,

        David