16.04 update/dist-upgrade

Grizzly Real_Grizz_Adams at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 14 15:57:56 UTC 2018

14 March 2018  at 10:30, Liam Proven wrote:
Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade (at least in part)

>I'm sorry but I for one am having a very hard time trying to
>understand what you're posting. May I suggest you try putting it
>through a spellchecker or something?

>On 14 March 2018 at 08:33, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> After having hugep[1] problems following an attempt to get my old stable 16.04
>> system to hwe,

>You mean, upgrade to the hardware enablement stack?

That was the itention, until it became unusable, then all I wanted was a
current stable system again

>> I made a complete (Duel boot with Win7) fresh install from a
>> 16.04.3 USB, the tried to run
>>
>> ~$ sudo update -y && sudo dist-upgrade

>*apt* update then *apt* full-upgrade?

Typo sorry, I missed the Apt

>> all went smoothly, but once I re-booted I was back to the previous unuseable
>> situation [1]

>So it was broken _before_ you tried to update? But you said it was stable?

It had been stable (before this started) after as far as I could tell, OK I had
not run it for long before the update/dist-upgrade

>> so I had to do a fresh install again (just Ubuntu side this time) again from my
>> 16.04.3 media, I decided that untill I had more info I would not
>> update / dist-upgrade, thinking that I may be at end of road, if cant
>> update/dist-upgrade?

>> meanwhile I downloaded the later 16.04.4 iso to test "if" "live usb" would run
>> on same netbook, it did

>> Back on installed sys I tested with

>> ~$ sudo lsb_release -a && sudo uname -a
>> No LSB modules are available.
>> Distributor ID: Ubuntu
>> Release:        16.04
>> Codename:       xenial
>> Linux Dawn 4.10.0-28-generic #32~16.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jul 20 10:19:13 UTC
>> 2017 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

>So it's on -03. OK.

yes, installed from a -03 live usb

>> all was much as I expected, so I then made same test from live usb

>> ubuntu at ubuntu:~$ sudo lsb_release -a && uname -a
>> No LSB modules are available.
>> Distributor ID: Ubuntu
>> Release:        16.04
>> Codename:       xenial
>> Linux ubuntu 4.13.0-36-generic #40~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 16 23:26:51 UTC
>> 2018 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

>> now I am was confused by the result from "uame -a" (16.04.1 ?)

>Well either it's -01 or it's -04, but not both.

That was why I asked here, I (as can be seen) ran the commands from a live -04
usb, I did not expect it to work, assuming that something that changed in
4.13.0-36-generic was the reasom for the problem, but it was worth a try

lsb_release -a && uname -a

was cut and pasted directly from terminal window

>And either way, you said at the top of your message it's a 16.04-03
>medium. You are contradicting yourself.

the system was 16.04.3, I only down loaded the 16.04.4 iso later as I mentioned
to test

>When did it go wrong? What happened? That would seem to me to be what
>to troubleshoot.

the screen was black with white squiggles (closest description) nothing else, I
did try to get a terminal but that was no better (less squiggles more blank
black)

I could take a photo but not sure how helpful that may be

>And if you are going to start over, I suggest you start over with
>16.04-0, no updates.

That is my next step, was hoping there may have been some known problem that I
could "fix"