Custom Local DNS with Ubuntu Clients

Aero Maxx aero.maxx.d at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 18:34:01 UTC 2018

On 11 March 2018 at 17:33, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the app that's managing the network? NM? ifupdown?
> systemd-networkd?

I'm unsure, I'm using the default install of Ubuntu Desktop 16.04 LTS

Is resolvconf or systemd-resolved involved in setting up "/etc/resolv.conf"?

I believe it is resolvconf as this is installed by default.

> What's the output of "ls -l /etc/resolv.conf" and "cat /etc/resolv.conf"?

root at ubuntu:~# ls -l /etc/resolv.conf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Mar 10 13:53 /etc/resolv.conf ->
../run/resolvconf/resolv.conf

root at ubuntu:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 127.0.1.1

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>