Meltdown and Spectre and thoughts on buying a new computer

Bill bstanle at wowway.com
Sat Mar 3 01:59:31 UTC 2018

Hi,

It is about time to think about buying a new computer but I am concerned
about Meltdown and Spectre.  I understand that Intel and AMD are still
working to remove the bug from their firmware.  I don't want to buy any
new computer with a chip that must immediately be patched.  Is there any
estimates when the fixed chips will be released by Intel or AMD?  Also,
how would I be sure that any new computer would not have the defective
chip, even if the manufacturer says it is OK?    I plan to dual boot and
about 90% of the time I use Linux so the Windows vulnerability is a concern.

Bill Stanley