Wiped external hard drive clean by accident

Rolf Grunsky rgrunsky at sympatico.ca
Sat Jun 30 21:01:58 UTC 2018

On 2018-06-30 02:01 PM, Douglas Pollard wrote:
>   Hell Douglas Pollard here. I was reformatting a few thumb drives that
> were given to me.  I was using G-parted and left my 4 terrabyte "MY
> Book" USB external Hard drive plugged in and  wiped it clean Ubuntu
> can't see it and either can G-parted. AS soon as I relised it was being
> reformatted I panicked and stopped it now it seems there is nothing
> there.  A friend said windows 10 could reformat it but I don't have
> windows on anything. I have notice the progress bar I guess in (Grub 2)
> that goes across to start Ubuntu hesitates  before reaching the end and
> ubuntu will not start so I guess it is trying to read the external drive
> and fails. Unplug  the drive and Ubuntu starts so it seems some thing
> can see it and is trying to read it.?  Any help with this would be
> appreciated.    Doug

You may want to look at the DFSee disc analysis program. Not free, it
appears to start at 49 Euros but is cheaper than any data recovery service.

Many years ago when I was still running OS/2, I had my drive partitions
deleted when I accidentally booted with a Toshiba restore CD. I was able
to restore the drive with the program. You might be as lucky.

I think you can download the program for free to see if it might work.
Good luck!

--
                                TRUTH in her dress finds facts too tight.
                                In fiction she moves with ease.