System Update froze - UbuntuMATE 16-04

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Jun 23 05:12:31 UTC 2018

On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 07:22:21 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>Now, as I previously said, I believe that the previously encountered
>ongoing external HDD I/O problems, were not caused by a problem with
>the external HDD, but, rather, with a problem with the file
>management, where I had had to abort file transfers.

I own a very old USB WD HDD that never failed. A while back I purchased
a fantec case with an USB controller and a Toshiba HDD mounted to the
fantec case. I used Ubuntu Mate 17.10 to backup my installed Linux to
the external USB drives. Very often I got IO errors when using the
fantec/Toshiba drive, so I removed the drive from the fantec case and
mounted it as an internal drive. The drive never failed again when used
internally. Due to warranty I got a replacement for the fantec case.
After mounting the Toshiba to the replacement fantec case, I never got
an IO error again, too.